Overview: A practical, informal and interactive nutrition-focused course designed for school teachers. Four Zoom tutorials (7-9pm) held over 4 Mondays from mid-May to mid-June; learning materials by email. Tutor: Richard Burton ( www.iinh.net ) plus 2 or 3 guest experts.
Purpose: Explore key issues around food, nutrition and health; provide trusted resources; discuss strategies and practical tips to help teachers boost health and resilience, as well as pupils’ wellbeing, performance and behaviour. Plenty of time devoted to Q&A.
Dates: Four Monday evenings (7-9pm): May 25, June 8, June 15, June 22, via Zoom.
Delivery: Learning materials in advance by email, with link to upcoming Zoom tutorial session. All tutorials recorded for later streaming/download. Questions in advance welcomed! Tutor: Richard Burton, founder & CEO, Irish Institute of Nutrition & Health Ltd (www.iinh.net)
Tutorial Session 1 May 25
· Updates and discussion around nutrition and health - latest science, issues - including Covid -trends, controversies: vegan, flexitarian, low-carb/keto, paleo, ultra-processed foods, etc.
· Combatting stress and the ‘downward spiral’ with diet & lifestyle adjustments.
Tutorial 2 June 8
· Building resilience – tips for teachers to sustain energy levels and concentration, and optimise resistance to Coronavirus and other infections.
· Smarter weight control – 97% of weight loss attempts fail, so what does work?
· Childhood obesity – current situation and successful initiatives from around the world.
· Guest expert* Mindful self-compassion – why so vital, techniques, practical tips *Julia Sweetman https://mindfulselfcompassionuk.com/teachers/julia-sweetman/
Tutorial 3 June 15
· Allergies and intolerances – the alarming rise among children and how to understand and manage it at school.
· The blood sugar rollercoaster. How foods and drinks high in sugar and refined carbs cause kids to ‘crash’ in class. Practical options to avoid/minimize this.
· The developing brain – how nutrient-poor diets affect development, attention, learning, behaviour, etc.
Tutorial 4 June 22
· Guest expert* – practical ways to engage kids successfully with healthier food and drink options. *Deirdre Doyle, founder of www.thecoolfoodschool.ie
· Smart options for both teachers and kids - meals, snacks, drinks, lunch boxes, eating intervals, etc. Recipes, meal planning, batch cooking, reading labels, ‘better brands’, etc.
· Adult education - ideas, strategies, resources and tips for working with parents and colleagues around smarter food and drink choices.
|Course Date||25-05-2020 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||22-06-2020 9:00 pm|