Dublin and Dún Laoghaire ETB offering English Language Teaching (ELT) an internationally-recognised Teaching Award from Cambridge English (part of the University of Cambridge).
The course covers the nuts and bolts of English Language Teaching leading to certification from Cambridge Assessment (fee for examination).
In addition to the language content of TKT Module 1 (see attached), the following topics and discussions around EAL in an Irish post primary school are also covered:
· record-keeping for SSE, monitoring and tracking language development over time,
· a language curriculum for EAL students. Awareness of CEFR levels.
· EAL allocation (resourcing and appealing).
· a whole school approach to EAL, all teachers are language teachers (CLIL).
· Celebrating diversity and valuing the Home language. An intercultural look at our school.
· student voice and having high expectations for students to achieve
· EAL V SEN,
· Interacting with parents as partners
· teaching students with gaps in their education, scaffolding students who are learning to speak.
Dublin and Dún Laoghaire ETB would like to offer teachers in your school the chance to be trained in English Language Teaching (ELT) and to get an internationally-recognised Teaching Award from Cambridge English (part of the University of Cambridge). The training will focus specifically on how to support EAL students’ language development and all aspects of how to run an EAL department in an Irish Post Primary school. On completion of the course, teachers will sit Cambridge English Teaching Knowledge Test Module 1 exam, which is a test of professional knowledge for English Language teachers. Attendance at all sessions is compulsory. If you are unable to attend any part of the course over the 5 days, please reconsider signing up. The course will run from Mon 20th - Fri 24th June 2022 – with the written exam to take place in August. The course and exam will take place in DDLETB Head Office, Tuansgate, Tallaght.
Please note this course is not acels-recognised for work in private language schools.
Mary Kenny ESOL Development Officer / Cambridge ESOL Centre Exams Manager.