As a member of school staff, your understanding of concussion is critical in firstly, identifying and managing a potential concussion safely and, secondly, helping students successfully recover from their injury upon their return to school.
Concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury that carries serious health risks, which are exacerbated by incorrect concussion management steps. In a student's typical day at school, a concussion can occur during PE, playing a school sports match, playing on the school yard, or even tripping and falling in the classroom. In what can be a chaotic time, knowing the appropriate management steps can make all the difference.
Over the course of 75 minutes, Concussion Coach will deliver, facilitated by Mark Beakey, an interactive learning experience designed specifically for school staff:
- Concussion identification
- Breakdown of signs & symptoms
- Debunking myths and misconceptions
- Managing the immediate injury (step by step process)
- Concussion logging
Recovery & Rehabilitation
- Post-injury medical pathway advice for parents
- Safe return to sport and school
- Managing the recovery period in the classroom
Creating a Culture of Concussion Safety
- Improving concussion reporting rates among students
- Individual teacher preparation steps and preparing collectively as a school